Womens Organisations and Services, Executive and Senior Management, Management
Not For Profit (NFP)
Sydney > CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs Sydney
- $45,000pa ($106,875 FTE pro rata for 16 hours)
Job posted on: 15th Dec 2022
Applications close: 5:00 PM AEDT, 8th Jan 2023
OVERVIEW OF WFE
WOMEN FOR ELECTION (WFE) is a non-partisan, for purpose organisation that’s committed to helping inspire and equip women and non-binary folk, from all backgrounds and lived experience, to run for public office in Australia at the local, state and federal level.
WFE strives to achieve gender parity in Australia’s legislative chambers so that governments are representative of the communities they govern. WFE’s programs help women see how they can get involved in the political process, be it to run or to help another woman’s campaign whilst also increasing active citizenry.
Women experience more barriers than men when running for public office and WFE’s training programs specifically address those barriers.
A balanced and fair society achieved through gender parity in Australian politics across all tiers of government.
To inspire, equip and sustain women to successfully stand for, and thrive in, public office in Australia.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an organisation that’s improving the health of Australia’s democracy and political landscape. You’ll work closely with the CEO and Leadership team to implement the strategic plan and broaden our impact through strong operational management.
As General Manager reporting to the CEO your role is operational, strategic and outcomes driven. It’s a rewarding and challenging leadership role with a broad range of stakeholders. You will oversee day to day operations of the organisation and play a key role in developing future systems and processes. You will take the lead on a range of operational needs, including:
- Working with the CEO to develop annual budgets and forecasts
- Manage external relationships (Accountant, Lawyer etc.)
- Internal reporting responsibilities, including Grant acquittals and developing program evaluation
- Strategically manage and expand our supporter database and oversee data analysis to generate insights from internal and external datasets
- Develop procedures to ensure operational excellence
- Ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion is supported in both program and team operations
- Leveraging synergies and efficiencies to maximise impact and financial sustainability
There is a key ‘success factor’ in assisting the CEO in identifying long term sustainable income to support the organisation’s strategic plan.
We are proud of having a great organisational culture, and you will be right at the heart of things along with other members of the Leadership team.
The role is part-time for 16 hours per week (2 days) with flexible working arrangements.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The right person will be able to manage the operational functions of the role, is entrepreneurial and strategic, and excels at multi-tasking whilst working thoughtfully and independently.
You have driven organisational strategy, culture, and impact in other organisations and you’re keen to learn and make a difference.
Emotional intelligence, strategic acumen, personal integrity, loyalty, the ability to maintain strict confidentiality, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit are all important attributes.
In terms of some basics, you will need:
- Commitment to WFE’s non-partisan vision, values and mission
- Strong financial and administrative management skills
- Competence in operational management with a “roll your sleeves up” kind of attitude
- Excellent relationship instincts and skills including team management skills
KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Strong administrative and operational management skills
- Thought-leader and highly values-led
- Comfort with business metrics, Budgets and P&Ls
- A high level of drive, passion and reliability
- Experience in developing and implementing operational plans
- Demonstrable financial management, analysis, and reporting competencies
- The ability to develop the organisation through innovative initiatives and marketing
- Knowledge of database management and CRM systems
- The ability to work collaboratively with the CEO and the Leadership team
- Self-motivated, good humoured and highly adaptive
- Collaborative, curious and able to have hard conversations when needed
- Ability to maintain high level of professionalism, confidentiality and discretion
- A basic knowledge of Australian politics
- Develop processes to ensure operational excellence at WFE
- Be the change agent and influencer that permits the organisation to smoothly transition to new systems and processes that enhances efficiency
- Evolve the supporter database to be a critical part of WFE’s infrastructure and USP
- Take ownership of preparing operating/business plans and budgets to achieve the strategic plan
- Manage, enhance and report on all operational initiatives and functions
- Support the CEO to identify new funding sources and devise operational systems that support them
- Support the CEO with regards to the recruitment, induction, training and appraisals of staff and volunteers
- Provide high level executive support and information to the CEO
- Play a significant role in long-term planning and strategy, including initiatives geared toward operational excellence
- 2IC to CEO and required to cover CEO responsibilities in some circumstances
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- An exciting and innovative role that gives you the opportunity to work closely with the CEO and to take centre-stage in improving gender equity in Australia’s political chambers, work on historic projects, attend events and build important and influential programs and relationships.
- As this position requires working some unusual hours, this is balanced with an understanding workplace culture that wants you to thrive and learn in the role whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
- A time sensitive, high impact workplace culture, built on trust and integrity
- A culture that celebrates inclusivity, with a genuine commitment to non-partisan political representation and belonging for people of all backgrounds.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups (Aboriginal, Torres Strait and Pacific Islander peoples, People of Colour, women, non-binary and gender diverse people, LGBTQIA+ communities, and people living with a disability) often don’t apply for roles if they don’t meet all the criteria – unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements. We’d love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
To be considered for this position, applicants must have current working rights for Australia.
We respectfully request that Recruitment Agencies do not submit applications for this position.